MEET KATE BECHTEL
To aid these efforts, her Optical Technologies group at Triple Ring has developed and experimentally validated advanced GPU-accelerated optical modeling capabilities of light transport through tissue and interfaced this code with the commercial optical design software Zemax to create a complete system model. Such a model reduces technical risk during the instrument design process and allows for rapid iteration of parameters and evaluation of corner cases.
- Shih WC, Bechtel KL, Rebec MV. “Noninvasive glucose sensing by transcutaneous Raman spectroscopy”, J Biomed Opt, 20(5):051036 (2015).
- Lohman RF, Ozturk CN, Djohan R, Tang HR, Chen H, Bechtel KL. “Predicting skin flap viability using a new intraoperative tissue oximetry sensor: a feasibility study in pigs”, J Reconstr Microsurg, 30(6):405-12 (2014).
- Lau C, Šćepanović O, Mirkovic J, McGee S, Yu CC, Fulghum S, Wallace M, Tunnell J, Bechtel K, Feld M. “Re-evaluation of model-based light-scattering spectroscopy for tissue spectroscopy,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, 14(2):024031-024038 (2009).
- Bechtel KL, Shih WC, Feld MS. “Intrinsic Raman spectroscopy for quantitative biological spectroscopy, Part II: Experimental applications”, Optics Express, 16(17):12737-12745 (2008).
- Shih WC, Bechtel KL, Feld MS. “Intrinsic Raman spectroscopy for quantitative biological spectroscopy, Part I: Theory and simulations”, Optics Express, 16(17):12726-12736 (2008).
- Volynskaya ZI, Haka AS, Bechtel KL, Fitzmaurice M, Shenk R, Wang N, Nazemi J, Dasari RR, Feld MS. “Diagnosing breast cancer using diffuse reflectance spectroscopy and intrinsic fluorescence spectroscopy”, Journal of Biomedical Optics, 13(2):024012 (2008).
- Šćepanović OR, Bechtel KL, Haka AS, Shih WC, Koo TW, Feld MS, “Determination of uncertainty in parameters extracted from single spectroscopic measurements”, Journal of Biomedical Optics, 12(6):064012 (2007).
- Shih WC, Bechtel KL, Feld MS. “Constrained Regularization: A Hybrid Method for Multivariate Calibration,” Analytical Chemistry, 79(1):234-239 (2007).
- Bechtel KL, Zare RN, Kachanov A, Sanders S, Paldus BA. “Moving beyond traditional UV-visible absorption detection: Cavity ring-down spectroscopy for HPLC,” Analytical Chemistry, 77(4):1177-1182 (2005).
- Snyder KL, Zare RN. “Cavity ring-down spectroscopy as a detector for liquid chromatography,” Analytical Chemistry, 75(13):3086-3091 (2003).
- Snyder KL, Nathan CE, Yee A, Stenken JA. “Diffusion and calibration properties of microdialysis sampling membranes in biological media,” Analyst, 126(8):1261-1268 (2001).
- “Non-invasive Glucose Sensing with Raman Spectroscopy”, W.-C. Shih, K.L. Bechtel, and M.S. Feld. Chapter 14 in In Vivo Glucose Sensing. Eds. D.D. Cunningham and J.A. Stenken. (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2010)
- “Introduction to Spectroscopy for Noninvasive Glucose Sensing”, W.-C. Shih, K.L. Bechtel, M.S. Feld, M.A. Arnold, and G.W. Small. Chapter 12 in In Vivo Glucose Sensing. Eds. D.D. Cunningham and J.A. Stenken. (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2010)
- “Quantitative Biological Raman Spectroscopy”, Shih, W-C, Bechtel, K and Feld, MS, in Handbook of Optical Sensing of Glucose in Biological Fluids and Tissues. Eds. Valery V. Tuchin. (Taylor and Francis, 2009).
- Bechtel KL, Zare RN. “Brewster’s Angle Flow Cell for Cavity Ring-Down Spectroscopy,” US Patent No. 7,064,836 (2006).
- Bechtel KL, Funk T, Wilfley BP, Heanue JA. “Method and apparatus for cerebral oximetry,” US Patent No. 8,433,384 (2013).
- Bechtel KL, Funk T, Wilfley BP, Heanue JA. “Method and apparatus for total hemoglobin measurement,” US Patent No. 8,543,180 (2013).
- Bodduluri M, Heanue JA, Bechtel KL, Wilfley BP. “Systems and methods for improving follicular unit harvesting,” US Patent No. 8,545,517 (2013).
- Funk, T, Burion SD, Bechtel, KL, Heanue JA, Wilfley BP, Lowell AP. “Method and apparatus for adaptive exposure in x-ray systems.” US Patent No. 8,848,867 (2014).
- Bechtel, K, Shih W-C, Feld, MS. “Intrinsic Raman Spectroscopy.” US Patent No. 9,103,793 (2015).
- Heanue, JA, Lloyd, LJ, Bechtel, KL, Wilfley, BP. “Method and apparatus for tissue measurement position tracking and depth adjustment.” US Patent No. 9,131,844 (2015).
- Bechtel, KL, Wilfley, B. “Tissue oximetry probe geometry for robust calibration and self-correction.” US Patent No. 9,186,112 (2015).
- Bechtel, KL, Llyod, LJ. “Light wavelength selection for avoidance of surgical dyes.” US Patent No. 9,216,000 (2015).
- Funk, T, Burion, SD, Lowell, AP, Bechtel, KL, Heanue, JA, Wilfley, BP. “Method and apparatus for reducing X-ray exposure.” US Patent No. 9,254,114 (2016).
- Heanue, JA, Funk, TF, Bechtel, KL, Parashar, A. “Identification of surgical smoke.” US Patent No. 9,255,907 (2016).